Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Progress, slow but sure.



I managed to get time to work on May this past Saturday and Sunday. I spent almost all of Saturday rebuilding one of the mystery Hehr side windows. I covered these mystery side windows on the Airstream Forum linked here. I appreciate that Mike my winter home landlord gave me a hand. His carpentry background was very helpful avoiding a couple of challenges that I ran into. After multiple trial and error(s), I got the old window gear out and replaced, and the window aligned properly. It now shuts all the way! I bought a new window gear for each of these 5 side windows, and although they all do not need an immediate rebuild, I at least know now how to complete the task. I believe I have one other window to immediately address, so I will address that one next weekend. The rest can wait for when/if the window gear ever fails. Guaranteed that I am replacing the "clutch head screws" with "Phillip's head" screws as I rebuild them. These little buggers set me back time, sweat, money, and four letter words. I also replaced the nylon window slides, which were beyond 46 year old hard and/or broken. I am very glad to have found the parts necessary to fix these side windows. For now one fixed window means I no longer have it hanging open to the elements at all times.

Sunday I spent the day stripping out the three layers of floor tile, and one layer sub-floor that was added by the last PO. I found the original tile, overlay red brick tile from the 70's., a thin plywood subfloor, and finally the tile added just a couple of years ago. This was not a difficult task, but it was more time consuming than I had would have thought. I now have the floor stripped down to the original plywood, at least what is left of it. I estimate 15-20% of the plywood is gone (rotted), mainly in the front, the rear, and under where the refrigerator goes on the streetside. I now have really good ideas of where I have leaks in the shell. I also worked some aluminum on Sunday, fabricating a "temporary" cover for the furnace hole. I say "temporary", but it may need to last a year or more. I also need to fabricate a cover for the water heater hole. Both of these covers will stay in place past the floor replacement, in advance of a new furnace and new water heater.



I should be working again on May this Saturday and upcoming Monday. Our company takes off President's Day, so I get an extra play day! Until next time. -Tim


New Window gear installed



Window now shuts all the way.

Bare Floor looking towards the rear.
Looking forward









2 comments:

  1. Good progress Tim, I look forward to checking each week. I sent some pictures to Brad yesterday of the Overlanders rescue from the back field. We must have woke up a few mice in the process, I saw one jump ship!!
    I don,t have to much work left on my new camper then hopefully I can go back to the Cruiser. Hope to see you next Saturday.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug:
    I get to work an extra day this weekend, as I have today (President's Day) off! I was also out on Saturday, so I will have a blog update again this week. See you on Saturday with Brad to pick up the '57.
    -Tim

    ReplyDelete