Monday, February 15, 2010

Plugging some holes, creating others.

Today's blog is a picture based update of the progress I made this past Saturday and Monday. The above picture was in advance of taking out the back window. Note the non-Airstream approved drip cap that cuts off the bottom 1/4 of the nameplate.



The below picture is after I have taken out the back window, removed the drip cap, and then I was attempting to pull off the nameplate. I need to get a heat gun before I proceed any further. I will work on new window glass and gaskets this week. Then I can re-install with new openers.




Below are the parts from the water heater shroud. I decided that I would reuse and store these pieces back in the opening from which they came. Here I had laid out the parts so that I could measure for a small piece of aluminum to block the two holes that allow air and access to the water heater from the outside.




The below shows the shroud installed again, with the new aluminum piece that will covers the access holes. The shroud is held temporarily in with clecos.


From the inside of the shroud the access holes on the left side are more obvious.


A close up of the drip cap that I removed, pre-removal.


The furnace hole is now covered with a new piece of aluminum. I worked on most of this the weekend before, but I finished it this past weekend.



I am now in the process of putting new glass and cleaning up the rear and front window frames. My goal is to be read for installation of the windows again this coming weekend, fixed of course. Brad and I are also headed to Doug's on Staurday to bring home "Holly G", the '57 Brad acquired from Doug a couple of weeks ago. So I plan to work on May on Sunday. Until next time!










2 comments:

  1. Those little projects can really eat up the time. Seems like you've managed to make some nice progress on several fronts. I like the shot of the wood pile seen through both your front and rear windows. Must be nice to have that wood burning stove to keep you warm while working.
    Norm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norm:
    The wood stove has been a huge benefit. Since December 1st I have only burned 1 cord so far, but I only work on average one weekend day a week. The wood your seeing is the landlords pile. Getting work accomplished through this cold and snowy winter has been great. The coldest day that I worked on May in shirt sleeves indoors? It was -27F outdoors (real temp by the way, not wind chill)
    -Tim

    ReplyDelete