Monday, February 22, 2010

Pop Rivets and Screws

Sunday was spent buttoning up some loose ends. The picture above is the furnace opening now closed up with a sheet of aluminum pop riveted and caulked.

Below is the water heater shroud screwed back in place. I used 3/4" RV clay tape between the trailer body and shroud, as the shroud does not lay completely flush against the trailer, so the clay tape fills the void. Later this year when I pull out the front and rear window frames to re-caulk them, I will also use the clay tape. Water does not penetrate it, and it will be easier to finish caulk the seam between window frame and trailer. The clay tape that I took off the shroud from 1964 was still pliable. The floor around the water heater is in really good shape, so the clay tape stood up all those years against the elements, with near zero water leaks.


Below is the new Kitchen Vent cover installed. In comparison I am holding the old brittle, broken and faded original cover. The new vent cover is a little longer, but it still fits in, and I think it looks great. I copied all the original screw holes except the bottom two, accounting for the length difference of the new cover. This vent cover came from Vintage Trailer Supply.



I only placed a small amount of Vulkem (TemPro 635) across the top of the vent for now. I will be removing this vent this summer to polish around it, and then I'll permanently install the vent again when the polishing is done. In the picture below the new stainless screws also stand out. I am using stainless where ever I can to avoid corroded or rusty screws later on.




I also ordered the glass for the front and back windows last Friday. Hopefully it will come in this week. More on that when I install them.


The truck to trailer wiring issue that I have been having since last fall is about to drive me nuts. I wasted the better part of my Sunday morning work hours trying to get the existing wiring to work with the newly installed 7 pin connector. I obviously have an incorrect ground somewhere in the old wiring, but I am going to put the old wiring issue on hold for now. When I pull up the floor and interior walls, I should be visually able to find the problem. For now I am going to run three temporary 14 gauge wires for my turn signals and running lights, and I will hook up my new LED turn/stop lights. I am going to bypass the trailer wiring for now entirely. This weekend I will see if the old brake wiring is good, as I really want to use the brand new brakes that came with the new axle that I had Hart RV install last fall. With the turn signals and possibly the brakes, I will be good to go for the next few months.
Well, I hope to be at it again this weekend. Until next time! -Tim




5 comments:

  1. So some of the wiring works but not all? May I suggest you check the trailer fuse on the truck. Not the one in the main fuse box, the one under the hood on the wheel well or fire wall. I had this issue too and replaced a pig tail and checked all my connections 50 times before I realized it was a simple $3.50 fuse not listed in the manual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could only be that lucky Frank. I tested from the truck output, and although I have blown a fuse or two in all my testing, the truck is delivering. It is good advise though, as I always thought if the blinkers on the TV where working, all is well, but that is not true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What size stainless screws did you use on your vents? I have two vents I'm replacing and I'm thinking of using stainless screws but was wondering what length. Thanks for the time.

    Tim Eagle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim:

    I am not sure that I remember, but the vent is just temp screwed in (no caulk), as I still need to polish that area. I can back one screw out this weekend and see. By memory I think they are pretty short; maybe 1". You would also be safe with up to 1 1/2". I believe the cavity to the innner wall is 2". I still have to buy screws for the new fridge vent I just got, so I will need to buy screws for it too.

    Cheers,
    -Tim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Tim. We are a new owner of a 1964 Globetrotter 19' and have a few tweaks left over from the P.O. that were left unfinished. This is our third Airstream, once you go Aluminum, you never go back, (I think that's how the old saying goes). Anyway, we appreciate your help, if all goes well the vents will come in the mail today and I can tackle one of a few projects.

    Regards,

    Tim Eagle

    ReplyDelete