Sunday, January 31, 2010

Bare floors, almost bare interior, and a '57 from Wisconsin

After missing all of last weekend due to other activities, I got back to work this weekend on May. The time that I spent included Friday after work until almost 10 PM, a quick stop on Saturday to pick up the fiberglass bathroom and bring it home, and I finished with a full shift today. The interior to the floors is almost completely removed. I have just a very few misc items remaining, and the interior of May will be bare. I am soon into "construction" mode, and look forward to working on the exterior lights, rebuilding windows, closing up the holes where the water heater and furnace where removed, generally stopping water leaks. First back to what I accomplished and found this weekend.



Looking through the rear entry door you can see the toilet is removed.





This shot is with the Fiberglass Tub, shower, sink removed. Thanks for helping me get it through the trailer door and home Brad!




With the tub and toilet kick plate removed, 1 of 2 waste pipes removed, and a quick vacuum reveals the floor and expected floor damage. It is actually in better shape than I thought. The floor is 100% being replaced regardless.
As I suspected, the black tank is gone. You can see rectangular floor replacement around the waste pipes. The black and grey water are a straight shot out the exterior waste valve, there is no holding tank at all.
Now I have removed most of the retangular floor board that was replaced when the bathroom was modified to remove the black tank, and send the waste straight out the rear waste valve.
I am happy to say that with all the rear floor rot, the frame that I can see in the rear is in incredibly great shape. I also have zero evidence of any rear end separation. In the back through a rotten hole in the floor I measured the frame to the bottom of the wall. It is exactly 3/4". I am extremely pleased that what I am finding under the floor so far is in pretty good shape. Even the belly pan in the rear is fully intact, so it will make a good template for its replacement.




Finally I am happy to report that there is an additional Vintage Airstream owner in our mix; buddy Brad. He is now the proud owner of a 1957 Cruiser Overlander. I helped match his desire for a vintage with Doug's extra trailer. I say extra in that Doug originally planned to use the '57 as a parts trailer for his '54. You can read Doug's blog here, and you can also read his floor replacement Airforum thread here. Thankfully Doug could not bring himself to part out the '57, and after an attempt to sell the wounded gal last year, a couple of calls and a Saturday road trip, and now Brad has Aluminitis! Congratulations Brad (& Jennifer)!











4 comments:

  1. Looks like you made good progress this weekend even with a detour to my place. Are you taking the interior skins off next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug:
    After I get everything out, I am going to concentrate on getting exterior lights working and/or installed, rebuilding windows, and caulking/fixing holes. The theme is a focus on addressing water leaks and keeping the water out. I will take off interior skins or end caps to get at the backside of water leaks or access to fixes. I plan to only take down one or two interior skins at a time, address what issues lie underneath, and maybe even store the skins by tacking them back in place (not sure about this yet). I am not addressing the floor until after this summer, so I am not anxious to take all the skins out just yet. I also plan to make an interior floor template out of masonite or cheaper plywood, and it will remain in place until I address the floor much later this year. This summer will be about exterior polishing and continuing to address any remaining water leaks. At least with a card table and some chairs, we will be able to have a few card games in our Alumi-tent this summer! :-)
    -Tim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim,

    It starts with taking a "couple" interior panels out, then another "couple" until you end up with all of them out. Great progress! Can't wait to see what you use for tanks and subflooring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve:

    I can't wait to see what I use too (can you tell I don't know yet?!)

    -Tim

    ReplyDelete