Sunday, January 17, 2010

Another link to May's past.



I spent the better part of Saturday the 9th freeing the tub/shower/sink from May's clutches. Several knowledgeable people have said it would be a "bear" to get out, and it was. I was beat by the end of that day; wrestling with the hulk, finding hidden fasteners, cutting waste lines, wrestling some more. It is all loose and free now! In the near future I will have to figure out how to get this mass of fiberglass out the front door. I know it will come out, even though it is 4" or so wider than the door, as all Airstream parts are designed to go through the front door. It should be interesting angles that's required to do so. Yesterday I began to neatly create bundles of all of the interior wood parts with plastic wrap, and loaded them in my truck for transportation home. This included walls, interior doors, frames, etc. They will be stored in my basement until they are needed again as templates. About the only wood items that I will not replace brand new are the overhead storage locker frames. They will be refaced and renewed, but the frames themselves are in pretty good shape. There really was no other wood to save other than for templates. All of the wood is delaminated, especially where it was in contact with the floor. I also took out the toilet and water heater yesterday. Even though I had my camera, I forgot to take a picture of it all. But I do have one picture to share taken on New Year's Eve; the little Minnesota License Plate I found under what would be the battery mount in the rear. I will one day try to research to see how May got from the original 60's California owners to the Minnesota 70's owners who had her when this little license plate was on her tail. Just one other link to her traveling past. Until next time!

5 comments:

  1. some things might fit through an open window also...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right you are Frank. I hear the interior top ceiling sheet of aluminum is one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim, keep at it brother. The tear down is a ton of work, but it feels great when you finally get down to the bare bones. Hopefully we will both be camping again before too long. Thanks for the comments on my blog. I'm glad you were able to find helpful information there.
    Norm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim, Thanks for coming out with Brad and helping with the sale of the 57. While it is sad to sell aluminum it is nice having one less thing to think about right now, I would like to come up and give you a hand with May in the next week or two, let me know your schedule.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the offer Doug, and I take you up on it! Glad to see that your '57 will go to such a great home with Brad. I am sure he will breath new life into the old gal. We now have another Vintage Airstream that will one day again be on the road in Wisconsin/Minnesota, and points beyond!

    ReplyDelete