Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Installing Exterior Lights, Home Made Bezels & Window Gears

Finally back to getting some work done including this past Saturday and a couple of hours today. Can you guess which light above is 46 years old vs. which is brand new?





Below one of the side lights is Cleco'd in place. I am going to pull out the cleco's and polish around it before it gets buck riveted.



Below are the rear end cap lights, sitting on their home made bezels, ready for final buck riveting. I did order new Airstream Nameplates yesterday from Vintage Trailer Supply. I just do not like all the numerous holes in the old name plates after one of the former P. O.'s installed a drip cap across the old nameplate. May deserves better.



I also put in the new gears on the rear window. There is one on each side, and now the rear window works for the first time for me. It really is too much window (too big and heavy) for the gear design. As long as I am the only person that ever opens or shuts the windows on this trailer, the gears will last a long time. The first person to over crank a gear will break said gear. It is nice to see the rear window all complete and working, albeit a poor 1964 design.




I hope to get more work done outside of the actual holiday days. I want to get the new name plate in place, and then the rear is ready for buck riveting. Until next time!


-Tim





2 comments:

  1. Tim, May is looking good. I noticed the same problems with my rear window. If it isn't opened evenly, one side binds and will strip the gears and bend the window frame. I don't intend to open the rear window very often. It is also a serious injury hazard when opened at a campground as those sharp corners are just about eye level.
    Norm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Norm:

    You are right about the rear window. It will be at least nice to crack it open a couple of inches for circulation. It would just like me to hit that window and do damage to my person!

    -Tim

    ReplyDelete