Sunday, May 31, 2009

Polishing 101


I ended Saturday disappointed with how well the second phase of the polishing method (Jestco) was going, but I end Sunday much happier with today's results. The horizontal cloudy haze at the very bottom left of the shined panel is what I was fighting on Saturday on the whole panel. I have now found that in the second step with the polisher and red (jewelers rouge) if I move the soft buff back and forth, is starts to pull out the last of the major haze. So I now believe I am ready for step #3 & #4 on this panel, using the cyclo with Nuvite F7, and then Nuvite "S". The results for now using just the polisher and Jestco Grey then Red Rouge looks pretty darned good.


When you stand 4 feet away, you start to see the fine linear scratches that the F7 should take out. When you stand as far back as picture #2 (click to enlarge), the comparison between the polished (back left) panel and the rest of the Safari is clearly visible from this greater distance. And just think, this trailer had a what I will call a "rough polish" two years ago by the PO. Since it was only polished using a rotary polisher, you can clearly see the swirl marks in the other panets. Having said that, May's exterior is already in better shape than some 1964 era trailers that have never been touched. May is going to be one good looker when she is done. At this rate, that will be a while. I am only working on it weekends, and then no more than about 3 hours per day. I have other things to do of course, polishing gets tiring, and then I have to work when the sun is not shining on the back section I started on. I would say that I have 9-10 hours into it so far. It has been an education so far, and now that I am getting familiar with the tools and technique, I fully anticipate that it will go faster.

This last photo for today shows not only the "almost mirror shine" from the first two Jestco steps, but also the fact that I am replacing all of the exterior lights. I received my package of 5 red and 5 amber teardrop lights from http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/ this week. I cannot say enough good things about the great customer service I've received working with them. The brand new bright red light covers against the tree reflection ends my weekend on a positive note. I look forward to continuing next weekend!


3 comments:

  1. Looking good, Tim! Many hours and much happiness await you. Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, that looks great! Nice work. I've also started off my restoration with a polishing project and I sympathize with you on how much work is involved. You have made much better progress than I have in a similar amount of time. Sounds like the Jetsco process is pretty good. I may try that after exhausting my supply of Nuvite G6.
    Norm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Steve! I am much more encouraged after the success this past Sunday. Norm, I would say they Jestco method/products is/are looking good. I'll know for sure after I begin the Cyclo phase with Nuvite F7. I will try and publish some "tools of the trade" pictures showing exactly the tools and products that I am using. Nothing unique; I am copying others that have gone before me. Cheers! Tim

    ReplyDelete